Baby Feeding: The 6 Stages In Baby Feeding
Baby Feeding:When Is The Right Time And What Foods Are Suitable?
This is one of the most common and natural concerns experienced most Malaysian parents, especially new and young parents; what to feed their baby and when is the right time? Previously, we talked about baby nutrition in details which foods contain what vitamins and minerals, and a brief look at when you should start feeding them to your baby.
Well, this time we will take a closer look at what and when you start baby feeding. There are 6 stages in baby feeding, starting at 1 month old. So let’s take a closer at how the stages flow.
|Age||Breast Milk/ Formula Milk||Solid Foods|
|1 Month||6-7 times per day, 4 ounces||N/A|
|2-3 Months||6-7 times per day,4-5 ounces||N/A|
|4-5 Months||5 times per day, 4-6 ounces||N/A|
|6 Months||5 times per day, 6-8 ounces||This is the stage baby food is introduced|
|7-9 Months||4-5 times per day, 7-8 ounces||1-2 Tablespoon for each stage from 1-2: fruits and veggies or meat x2 a day.|
|10-12 Months||3-4 times per day, 8 ounces||2-4 Tablespoon for each stage from 2-3: fruits, veggies, or meat x2 a day|
Different Stages Of Baby Food
The First Stage Of Baby Food
In first and early stage of baby food, the food will usually be a pureed single ingredient and contain little else. The pureed baby food in this first stage is usually made of finely mashed fruits or veggies. The amount should be equivalent of 5 tablespoon, approximately. Try out different food types, this way you might be able to discover food type that your baby is allergic to.
The Second Stage Of Baby Food
Second stage of baby food is similar to the first stage, but instead of pureed, the foods can be strained. And this time you can combine the foods together, not just a single type of food at one time.
The Third Stage Of Baby Food
Baby feeding at this stage (8-10 months old) will see your baby feeding on foods with texture and ingredients in them than the pureed foods you used to feed your baby. The food will contain small chunks of veggies and meat, which is a great transition to table foods.
Schedule It According To The Months
For 1-3 Months
1st Month: 4 ounces of milk. Frequency should be 6-7 times in a day.
2-3 Months: 4-5 ounces of milk. Frequency should be 6-7 times in a day.
- The first three months, your baby will depend solely on milk (breast or formula)
- Within this phase, you will feel exhausted due to the amount of feeding required for your baby. It is because your baby will be growing and changing so much in this phase, thus it is crucial to provide all the nutrition you can.
- You will know that your baby is hungry he/she started crying.
For 4-6 Months
4-5 Months: 4-6 ounces. Frequency should be 5 times in a day.
6th Month: 6-8 ounces. Frequency 5 times in a day and a stage where you can start to introduce other foods.
- Do not introduce baby food before 6 months of age, it is because your baby is still unable to digest other foods properly.
- It is highly recommended to exclusively breastfeed your baby for the first 6 months.
- When you are going to introduce baby food for the first time, it is best to introduce one by one, this way you can identify which food your baby is allergic to.
- Stage 1 baby food is recommended for this stage. Finely mashed and pureed foods (veggies, fruits t) has more liquids and this will be easier for your baby to swallow.
For 7-12 Months
7-9 Months: 7-8 ounces. Frequency should be 4-5 times in a day, 1-2 jars of stage 1 or 2 baby food per day
10-12 Months: 8 ounces. Frequency should be 3-4 times in a day. 1-2 jars of stage 3 baby food, finger foods are recommended
- This is the perfect phase to introduce solid foods to your baby if you haven’t.
- At this stage your baby will be weaning off milk and consume more solid foods.
- You can introduce meat at this stage. Because stage 2-3 baby foods is used; your baby is now able to consume foods with more texture and thicker.
- But do not stop giving baby food, even though your baby will begin eating finger foods which will teach your baby to self eat.
- Also to further enhance the experience you may want to use cute baby feeding set such as cute bowls, spoons and forks.
Tips For Nursing Your Baby
- Don’t force or instigate nursing session. Let it occurs naturally, if your baby wants to nurse, don’t refuse.
- Occupied your baby through feeding time
- To wean formula fed babies, it should be done when your baby is one year old. Use milk, cow’s milk or water as an alternative to slowly wean your baby.